Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The advantages and pitfalls of being really really tall



"Wow, you're really tall"

Yes yes.

At 5'11, that is usually the first comment I receive when I am initially introduced. I've heard it so frequently in my 22 years of existence that I often feel compelled to retort in the form of "OH MY, THIS IS BRAND NEW INFORMATION".

But I won't.

Because I'm a sweet and innocent creat - well, no not really. Mostly because I rarely express any visible emotions.

Now back to the height issue. There is just something about my proportion and and body structure (lanky with long legs and an admittedly slender frame) that tricks people into thinking that I am over 6 feet tall and thus, a creature of amazonian height.

Over the years, I have deduced 3 primary pros and cons to being my ~ excessive ~ height.

Pros:

1) Ability to breath within tightly confined spaces.

I am highly claustrophobic. I believe the only thing saving my ass from a complete and utter melt down on the TTC is my ability to retain some semblance of ~ fresh ~ Toronto air.

Also, the title makes me sound like a super hero.

2) Towering over people.

Both a pro and a con. In fact, this straddles both categories and often slips from one side to the other.

So when exactly is it a pro?

Only when you meet the acquaintance of someone easily intimidated and feel the need to express this in an indirectly negative manner. In this case, I will stare you down until you feel like a gremlin.

I believe in respect or at the very least, retaining enough respect to feign respect. If you don't have the decency to treat others as equals, I see no wrong in using my genetic advantages to teach you a prepackaged lesson.

3) Hanger type body structure makes clothing easy to find

While there are some cuts that I cannot wear (for example, tops cut tightly against the shoulders that makes me look like a line backer), for the most part I am well-proportioned enough to pull off most generic store items.

There are moments where I curse my ~ man shoulders ~ and wish to be a reasonable 5'6 but reasonably speaking, I don't have grounds for complaint.

Cons

1) Inability to wear heels without being over 6 feet tall

I've worn heels twice in my life. Both times involved people cranking their necks up to speak to me. I don't aspire to have a life where people complain of whiplash after talking to me.

If complaints are filed against me, I would prefer it to be about:

(a) My sarcasm
(b) My dry wit
(c) A combination of both with a hefty side of Awkward.

2) Having people ponder over your height upon initial introduction

This is especially terrible in China where they feel obligated to state the obvious.

"Oh my, you tall"
"Oh tall girl"
"Oh, you giant" (of course I am, in a country where the average height is 5'3)
"Oh, when you going to stop growing?"

Answer: Ne-vair. Not until I reach the skies and flounce around bouncy clouds.

3) Towering over people

I don't seek to intimidate everyone.

Only those who deserves the looming wrath of my dollishly empty stare.

1 comment:

  1. I come from a tall family, I'm 5"10 so only an inch off you but my boyfriend is 5"6 and the women on his side of the family are all over 6"0 , he's a small man amongst amazonians if I do say so myself. I really enjoyed reading your post with all its amusing little quips :)

    ReplyDelete