Sunday, December 25, 2011

Favorite skincare products of 2011

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Today, I've decided to do a year round post of my favorite skincare products. As my friends are well aware, I am avid about my skincare routine. My skin is quite good most of the time (knock on wood) but it by no means exempt me from issues like dryness, pink patches and the occasional zit on my chin/jawline the size of Mount Everest. In the collage below, I have listed products that I use on a daily / weekly basis to take care of my skin.

Please note: I have combination skin, oily on T-zone, dry on cheeks. I'm not acne prone (occasional Mount Everest zit aside) but am very prone to redness and dry patches.




1) Origins Mega Mushroom Cleanser

This is an excellent cleanser if you have dry skin that is prone to redness or environmental sensitivity (lord, my skin itches when there's too much dust in the air). It's extremely gentle and removes light makeup easily. I wear very little face make-up, usually tinted moisturizer, maybe concealer and a bit of blush. If you do wear a lot of base, I would recommend something stronger like Bioderma or the Liz Earle cleanse and polish.

2) Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

This is a holy grail dermatologist staple that's been around for quite a long time. I've used this since high school. It doesn't really....do anything so I find that negative reviews usually consist of people with high expectations. This won't cure acne, stop exploding breakouts or help with redness. It's just a very gentle cleanser that doesn't dry your skin out. I usually use a pump of this after the Mega mushroom cleanser just to make sure I have everything off my face.

3) Liz Earle Cleanser and Polish

This is a recent new discovery but I love it. I don't use it all over my face though, I only use it as an eye make-up remover. It removes everything easily without pulling or tugging on the area around your eyes. It has a thick, buttery textures and it. smells. amazing.

4) Bioderma Crealine cleanser

This is a makeup remover. I use it on my chin because that is such a sensitive area for me. It looks like water and doesn't smell like anything. It will remove everything from your face without any irritation whatsoever. Highly recommend!


1) Neostrata Daytime Smoothing Lotion Level 1

I use this every day in the morning. This has 4% glycolic acid in it so it might purge your skin out if you are acne prone. Most of my skin isn't acne prone so nothing really happened. However, my chin can be very sensitive so that area was blotchy and unattractive for about 2 weeks. On the bright side, I find using it daily really helps to keep your pores clear. You do have to push through the initial purging phase. If it's really really bad, I wouldn't recommend continual usage but if it's fairly minor, I think the benefits out weigh the purging phase.

2) Origins Mega Mushroom Cream

Oh god, this is super pricey (cringe worthy). I got lucky and got the whole Origins set on a Christmas sale (it sold out in about a minute). This alone usually retails for a ridiculous amount so I'm going to have to use my stash of Sephora gift cards for it when I run out. However, this is absolutely amazing for people with dry, sensitive skin. I can wear about 8 pounds of make up on a daily basis without a single breakout but if I use the wrong moisturizer, it can actually break me out. This is my holy grail moisturizer, it is absolutely amazing. It is quite thick so I wouldn't use it if you have oily skin but it calms down redness, decreases sensitivity and balances out dry skin. I don't use it on my T-zone though because I find that it makes that area very shiny but it's great for my dry cheeks.

3) Lush Full of Grace Serum

I'm a huge fan of Lush products. This is their serum in bar form (kinda kitchy but I like it). You have to warm it up under hot water and apply the oil directly onto your skin. I use it on my forehead and nose because it makes it less oily but it's oddly drying on my cheeks (which makes sense, if you think about it). This also has the same mushroomy smell as the Origins set and I basically adore this to the hells and back.



1) Origins Mega Mushroom Mask

. I use this maybe....twice a week, more during Winter than summer. It's a moisturizing, calming mask. I use it when I feel like I'm stressed that day or if the winter winds have been particularly brutal. Great for moisturizing dry patches or calming down any minor flare ups.

2) Origins Out of Trouble Mask

I'm not sure if anyone can tell but I'm really big on Origins. This mask does exactly what the name says: It gets you out of trouble. When I'm stressed, I get very very blotchy and when I'm bored, I do weird experiments on my skin (God, I can't get over the time I fell asleep in some weird, homemade concoction). I can put this on for 10 minutes and it will revert my skin back to what it was before the stress and idiotic experiments. I always carry a tube of this around with me in case stupidity strikes. Even if I don't, I use this around twice a week. Any more than that and it's not as effective.

3) DDF Sulfur Therapeutic Mask

This turn me into a Claymonster at night since I use it as a spot treatment. I do use this even if I don't have pink patches. It's just a habit by now, to be honest. If I see an area that miiiight be a pink patch, I kill it with this.

I have very high regards for this mask, I think it can kill basically anything of Godzilla proportions.

No comments:

Post a Comment