Friday, August 26, 2011

Ikea owns my soul

The Ikea Catalog has some kind of a Holy Grail status in my life. I look forward to it every year. It's not as close as a second Christmas but it's right up there with the end of school exams and when Canadian weather decides to stop being a PMS-y bitch.

I've noticed since I was a kid that the Ikea Catalog has this magical ability to make you want everything in it whether you need it or not. When I began hoarding them like my secret chocolate stash (my parents were/are health nuts and never bought me junk food) and telling my parents that I needed a set of RATTVIK wine glasses, I knew something was up.

A decade or so later, I've pinpointed that my fascination with Ikea was based on a trifecta of pretty color, shiny packaging and the occasional stuffed animal. I know this because I still buy things based on pretty colors and shiny packaging (I have a vast selection of cosmetics I purchased because of the box). The sole difference is that my love of stuffed animals has been transferred to Hello Kitty and the occasional Chococat pencil set.

Yes, I am 22 and yes, I do spend too much money.

Since I'm going back to school next month, I have devised a list of items that I would like from Ikea. I'm going to go check them out and pick through them. My budget for this is about $150-$170. I know it's my last year so it's not worth buying a lot of furniture but I need knick knacks for next summer as well.


The EKNE mirror - $14.99



I've broken quite possibly every mirror I've used since first year (I have about 42 years of bad luck ahead of me). I still need to check this out in the store (it better not be paper thin) but I love the simple yet girly curvatures on the outside edges.


The Signum Cable organizer - $5.99

imagebam.com

Isn't it just a piece of cloth with some dead bolts on it?

I think I'll look through cheaper alternatives but note to self, I do need something to prevent my room from looking like an electrical cabinet.

EIVOR quilt cover - $69.99 for Queen Size

imagebam.com

I've been looking for something like this for ages! I was thinking of using the white sheets I have from home but the eyelet style is a tad bit too princessy for my liking. Considering the ones I want from The Bay are in the $150 range, this is a pretty good deal!

Leberg Shelf - $24. 99

imagebam.com

I'm absolutely furniture-less this year. For the first time, the landlord hasn't given me a shelf nor has anyone left me one. This is a pretty decent price for once and I can still use it when/if (fingers crossed ) I move downtown next year.

Solviden Lights - $3.99 for a pack of 3

imagebam.com

Aren't these adorable? They look like little gum drops. I like a minimalist canvas but I enjoy little splashes of color so I don't look like I live in a lab. These are technically for outdoors but I'm sure I can drop them indoors too.

Oh and, these are the things I want but don't really need. If I have room in my budget, I'll pick one of them.

Eivor Kvist throw pillows, Kvarnvik boxes, , Malla organization boxes

imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com

Even if I'm completely loaded one day, I think I would still do all my shopping from Ikea.

Actually, that's as lie. I see myself paying a ridiculous amount for a customized pillow one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment