Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Skincare Routine: Background

This is a post that has been frequently asked for by a few of my friends. The reason I've put this off for so long is because whenever I like my skincare routine and I talk about it, something goes dodgy (yes, I'm pretending to be british now) and I end up having to switch it.

However, I do have items that I buy repeatedly so a skincare post wouldn't negate what I already like (fingers crossed, knock on wood, etc etc).

This link will be going up on my livejournal (and maybe my facebook) because there seems to be more interest from that venue. Warning: this is going to be long and self-indulgent. If you have the patience and are interested in this subject, please do trudge on. ^_^

Skin Type

I have combination skin. Most dermatologists would tell you that this means you're oily on your T-zone and dry everywhere else.

As proven by my blotting papers, this is correct.

Skin history

I wouldn't say that I've had a troublesome skin history. However, I have skin that is very schizophrenic in nature. I had normal skin (aka, completely flawless) until my late teens, oily skin from 17 - 21 and combination skin now.

Background: I had the kind of skin children are blessed with until I was 17. It was completely normal, never oily and I never had pores. On top of that, I played with makeup regularly (I looked like an ass), very rarely washed it off properly and still never broke out. I thought it was mainly due to genetics (it probably was) because my parents both have fabulous skin.

To be honest I thought I had skipped the acne phase that plagued most teenagers. The only scuffle I had was a tiny breakout on my forehead during my mid teens. My mother took me to my family doctor who prescribed me an antibiotic called minocycline. I took the medication for about a month or two, the small breakout went away and I went on my merry, baby-skinned way.

It all went to hell when I went to Florida for the first time (my adoration for mickey mouse was both a blessing and a curse). I broke out massively, most likely from a combination of the heat, the sudden stoppage of antibiotics and all the greasy turkey I consumed like some 5000 pound man hankering after a world record for turkey eating.

I spent about a year being all blotchy from the breakout. However, it never did scar me since you can't go from having baby skin to completely pitted skin. It takes years of frequent cystic acne to cause large pores and tears in the skin. I was lucky enough not to have that experience (knock on wood).

However, It did leave me red and uneven for longer than necessary and I remember being very enamored by foundation during that year. For someone who had never encountered skin issues until later on, it was difficult to deal with because I had never needed to take care of my skin.

After that vicious Year of Blotch was over, my skin went back to the way it was during high school. The only difference was that I had slightly bigger pores in some areas (only visible to me because I have a magnifying mirror) and I had oily skin as opposed to normal.

I went back to retaining nearly perfect skin with very few blemishes (and if I did, it would be just a small one that went away quickly) from the end of 1st year to about 4th year.

However, without getting into it too much, about a year and a half ago I did something quite silly that messed up my hormones. While I still would not classify myself as having acne or problematic skin, my skin is different from what it used to be.

One, the only place I get actual blemishes is my chin (hormones are a bitch). The rest of my skin very rarely gets anything unless I use some exceedingly pore-clogging moisturizer or do something stupid like put honey on my face and fall asleep in it -_-

(knockonwoodknockonwood)

Two, I am prone to congestion now. Congestion is when your skin doesn't feel completely smooth but still looks nice because it is almost invisible. For the longest time, I could not figure out why I kept getting congestion but it occurred to me later that because I had drier skin on my cheeks now, it was probably the build up of dead skin cells that causes it (well, that sounds disgusting).

The key to evading congestion is to exfoliate your little heart out but learning to do it with the right frequency.

Skin Routine

Basically, I've figured out that the best way to take care of my skin is to exfoliate on a 3x/week basis but steer away from any acne products. I think most of the "acne solutions" on the market are far too harsh and drives skin into over producing oil. This causes more break outs when you try to wane off it because you're not really solving the issue, you're just keeping it at a down low.

I once did an experiment where I did not take care of my skin at all. For a month, all I did was wash with Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser. I never wore make-up, I never moisturized and nothing happened to it. It got a bit dry and pink from the wind (it was winter, I was lucky my skin didn't fall off) but that was it.

However, when I tried to take care of my skin, it rebelled and I would get all blotchy. It's only when I attempt to treat my skin like "problem skin" and use products that ~prevent and protect ~ that I (ironically) get a blemish.

So what I've learned is that my skin does not like products and likes to be left alone.

What I do now is very simple:

1) I take off my make-up (I wear very little because my skin is good. God, please don't rebel on me now) throughly and then I cleanse with a very gentle skin cleanser that is akin to water.

2) Every two or three days (or every other day if I feel very clogged), I use a fruit enzyme mask to break down any dead skin cells on my face. Then I use a pore cleansing mask to get rid of any dirt. Because the enzyme mask takes away the dead cells, this makes my second mask more effective since it doesn't need to burrow through that deceased layer (lovely). I find that my skin is always very bright and clear after.

3) I don't use acne prevention products but I have a large collection of spot treatments. I do leave my skin alone but I dab spot treatments on any area that appears a little pink or irritated. I find that this kills it right away and prevents it from progressing.

Only downside is that you do have to be diligent, which I am most of the time.

4) I always use an anti-aging eye cream and I stay out of the sun. You can all make fun of me now but 20 years from now, there will be a difference.

Conclusion of Part 1

Disclaimer: I do not know everything about skin nor do I know how to treat all skin ailments. I do not suffer from cystic acne (though I get a giant honker once or twice a year) nor frequent breakouts. I get slight blemishes during my period and blotchiness if I do something silly so my "expertise" lies in preventing very mild issues.

These posts merely stem from my opinion (or ~ philosophy ~ if you want to get serious business) that the best way to treat your skin is to be as gentle with it as possible. I do understand that a lot of it has to do with the environment and internal stress so not everything is controllable.

However, I think assaulting your skin with an abundance of products will do more bad than good. That is merely a personal opinion. :)

Part 2 will have a list/reviews of things I purchase frequently and some newer things that I enjoy ^_^

Those who have stomached this post, virtual cookies for you.



No comments:

Post a Comment