Saturday, December 31, 2011

Favorite beauty & bath products of 2011


1) Almay Clear Complexion Make up in Neutral

I've used this since high school. It apparently keeps your skin clear through some magical technology brewed by the holy Almay labs (don't you just love advertising?). I usually pump out a small drop and mix it with my Neostrata moisturizer. I feel like a tad bit of a cosmetic wizard when I get to make my own tinted moisturizer.

2) Benefit Boi-ing Concealer in Light and Medium

On truly lazy days, I just use concealer. I'm in between the light and the medium shade so I usually mix the two colors and dab it where I need it the most. It's not the world's strongest concealer but it's great for some minor redness.

3) Mario Badescu Special Healing Powder

I don't powder my face but this Mario Badescu powder deserves a spot for its magical powers. If you get an irritated patch or one of those small bumps, just put a bit of this over the area. The green will cancel out the red and 80% of the time, it'll be gone by the end of the day. I'm not sure if this works for breakouts but if your ailments are fairly minor, this is a god send!



1) Mac Blushcreme in Ladyblush

This is actually the blush I use 95% of the time. It's this pretty pink color that is the exact color of my cheeks when I do blush. It's very subtle and gives you a nice, healthy glow. I do use the old school Blushcremes formulas (the new ones are called Cremeblends) that have been discontinued. However, I've hoarded a secret stash a la Ebay that will last me for the next decade or so.


2) Stila Convertible Color in Petunia

If I don't use my Mac Ladyblush, I'll use this instead. They're very similar but the undertone is a bit peachier. This is a lot dewier than Mac's Ladyblush and is highly highly pigmented. If you use too much, it will make you look like Kirby. I find that it works best if you dab a tiny bit of it onto your hand and tap the excess into the apple of your cheeks.

3) Tarte 12 hour Amazonian Clay Blush in Natural Beauty

My skin does get oilier when it gets hot so I use this as my summer blush. It really does last an epic 12 hours. I commuted all summer and it stayed put through out the entire day. The color is a very bright, cheery red. I would suggest an angle blush brush and a light tapping motion to avoid Santa Claus cheeks.



1) Physicians Formula Eye booster eyeliner in Brown

I wanted a nice liquid eye liner and one of my friends suggested this one because it's thin and easy to use. It's also supposed to ~ lengthen the length of your lashes ~ but I've never seen any evidence of this. I do love it, though! The tip is extremely precise so you can have fun winging it out. It also lasts all day and never smears. Cosmetic win!

2) Maybelline Waterproof Falsies Masacara

I bought this on a whim since it was on sale at Shoppers. It's fantastic. For some odd reason, the eye lashes on my left eye have never been able to hold a curl (very strange, considering how well my right set does) and this has been the only mascara to have achieved an equal curl in both eyes.

I must admit, this paragraph is a poor reflection on my intelligence.

3) Urban Decay Naked Palette

I used to dislike this palette before I figured out the good colors. I find that the best ones are: Toasted, Sin and Half-baked. There are a few other decent shades in there but there's a fair share of weird, muddy and chalky colors. I would still say that this is a good deal considering how many colors you are getting but fair warning: not every color in there is fantastic so you really have to trial it out and figure out which combinations work the best :)


1) Dior Lip Glow

The concept is pretty gimmicky, it comes off as a clear lip balm but changes color according to the natural chemistry of your lips. I wrote it off as a gimmick but it really does amplify the natural color of your lips. Mine are quite pink so this show up as a bright berry color that is very flattering. Although it does appear differently on other people, it also shows up bright pink when I rub it against a tissue paper :p

2) Mac Creme sheen in Double Dare

I love this! It looks insanely bright in the tube but when you put it on, it's a very sheer red. It doesn't last for too long but it gives this nice just-bitten shade that looks really great against fair skin. If you don't mind reapplication, this is a lovely choice.

3) Korres Lip butter in Pomegranate

I've been through many tubs of this. I have it in both the Lip butter (tub) and Lip Glaze (tube) versions. It's a very bright coral pink that appears to be universally flattering. I've seen it on several friends with different skin tones and it really does brighten the complexion beautifully.



1) Lush's Honey I washed the Kids soap

God, the scent is amazing. It smells like honey and caramel. My shower smells glorious after! This also keeps the eczema patches on my legs away so if anyone has sensitive areas on their body, this is a great alternative to drugstore products!

2) Lush's It's Raining Men

This smells exactly like "Honey, I washed the Kids" but in liquid form. It used to be limited edition but is now permanent. I got it last February and was happy to have found it again this month. I keep sniffing it because it just smells. so. good.

3) Lush's Dream Cream

Can't you tell that I love Lush for their body products? This is fantastic! Some people dislike the smell but I really like the herby scent. This soaks in quickly and doesn't leave a sticky residue. The only downside is that its quite expensive but it lasts a very long time. I also have one of the small mini jars in my purse as a hand moisturizer.

No comments:

Post a Comment