Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Anonymous and synonymous



"Why don't you have pictures of yourself on Facebook?"

Ah.

If an Angela FAQ is ever to be constructed (and this will never happen because there will never be enough demand), this question will most likely be situated at the top of the page.

So why don't I have pictures of myself on Facebook?

Reason #1: I don't know how to pose in pictures and most of the time, end up looking constipated and confused. I feel like this terror must never be unleashed upon the world.

Reason #2: I'm an alien

Reason #3: How do I put this nicely?

Well, I can't.

So a condensed version would be: "It's none of your business"

It's really no one's business what I look like, what I do during my spare time, who my best friends are, who my boyfriend is, what events I attend, how I act in front of a camera, if I go to parties, where I work, etc etc.

For clarification, I don't judge anyone who does upload their social activities on facebook. I don't believe there's anything wrong with wanting to share with other people. Sharing is how alliances are forged, relationships are strengthened and TMIs become the root of a blossoming friendship.

I am a proud and unabashed lover of Facebook, lurker of many photo albums and creator of many mundane statuses.

For me, Facebook serves these following functions:

1) Keeping in contact with my high school friends
2) Making quick plans for lunch
3) Communicating with good friends who have moved away
4) Making observations through my statuses
5) Uploading sporadic images of objects / events that amuse me

If the function determines the product, I can very safely say that pictures of me are not necessary when I'm uploading pictures of a particularly fat pigeon.


No comments:

Post a Comment