Wednesday, June 22, 2011

What stimulates you?

Every one has a thing

You know, a fixation, an obsession, something that excites you, sends you to your happy place and causes damage to your bank account.

For a lucky few, it's something economical like collecting seashells or rare pennies. I mean, 5 pennies on a 100 % inflation rate/decade and you might be able to exchange it for a Trenta sized drink from Starbucks.

My mother, for example, loves dolls and figurines. I can't blame her since she was a teenager in the 1970's and still likes wearing her pants up to her waist to this day. However, buying those creepy little dolls with the fluttery eyelids, the enhanced Megan Fox eyelashes and the bejeweled eyeballs makes her really happy.

Fact: Everyone is a consumer

This isn't negotiable (unless you're on Extreme Couponing) - we all buy things. The one piece of information I retained from Economics (besides how much I hate economics) is the principle of Utility.

Utility, as defined by wikipedia (please, like I could actually pull the definition of Utility off the top of my head) is "the measure of relative satisfaction". In layman's terms, economic behavior is determined by our attempts to stay in our happy place.

Or as Liz Lemon says, I want to go to there.

For me, it's blush. A new blush makes my eyes round and sparkly like Sailor Moon when she sees Tuxedo Mask. This, for example is my newest acquisition. It's Makeupforever's HD blush in Nipslip. (Please forgive the tiny black stripe on the left hand corner that throws the picture off)


It's all about perception. My mother stared at it and said. "Oh, it's pink"

No, Mother. It's not pink. It's a delicate peachy color that blends beautifully for that glow from within look. It's perfect for summer and makes me feel like I can wear a white dress and run through meadows, stopping only to feast on a picnic of honeydew and fresh pears.

Our personal fixations usually stem from a function. This is then followed by a positive emotion that reinforces the function and justifies our fixation. In some weird situations, this is what turns people into hoarders and collectors of lint.

If you really want to go deeper, I believe there is an emotional connection buried within our fixations. Sometimes it's elicited from childhood memories, sometimes it works to soothes our insecurities and boost our confidence.

The point is, we're on the pursuit of happiness and at some point or another, we've done it through purchasing things. Everyone has a fixation, you have to. The economy is dependent on what you like, how much you like it and how much more of it you want.

As long as you're not hoarding tin cans, buying $160 worth of blush at the same time and collecting used gum, I think its safe to like something if its function is to make you happy.

And no, that's not an excuse so I can buy Mac's blushcreme in Posey.

1 comment:

  1. Made me chuckle in the morning, appreciate it! I like your writing style, and its so true. The problem, for me, is having vices that are particularly expensive. Pro cameras, video gaming, and fancy cars. Can't have self esteem with an overdrawn bank account =[

    ReplyDelete