Thursday, September 15, 2011

Love #6: Super natural

imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com
Love #6 - Super natural
Ph. Mert and Marcus

Can I love Love or is that slightly too cheesy?

I'm not usually a fan of Mert and Marcus (I find high contrast unappealing) but this series of images rightfully entitled "Super Natural" evokes an eerie beauty that is oddly compelling. From someone who suffers from frequent bouts of chronic depression, the nonchalant expressions paired with the empty eyes and nihilisitic gaze is what I see in the mirror when all I feel is a blank. dull. buzz.

Amidst the series of pained expressions, aloof stares and fading tear tracks, Elle Fanning's cover still remains my favorite image. It's her expression of defiant coolness, of the steeliness behind her eyes that reminds you again and again that she has control amongst chaos.

I can't seem to find Love magazine anywhere. I'm downtown again next week so fingers crossed that The World's Biggest Book Store carries Elle's cover. I've actually really been liking Love's contents. It might replace Lula (which Chapters no longer carries. BAH!) as my favorite independent magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment